ICM Registry to Sue U.S., Appeals ICANN Decision

JUPITER, Fla. — ICM Registry will file a lawsuit against the U.S. government today in order to gain access to information withheld in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made in October.

ICM, which was unsuccessful in its bid for adults-only sponsored top-level domain .XXX, is seeking information that will provide the “extra evidence that provides the irrefutable proof” that the U.S. government intervened in the issue to prevent .XXX going ahead, ICM Registry’s Stuart Lawley told XBIZ

Lawley contended that, if true, it would also contradict public statements made by the Commerce Department that it “plays no role” in the day-to-day running of the Internet.

Last week, ICANN’s board, 9-5, rejected ICM’s bid out of “public policy concerns.” The company, based in both Jupiter, Fla., and Toronto, began its bid for the .XXX sTLD six years ago. ICM pledged to donate $10 of the proposed annual fee of $60 for a .XXX domain name to child-protection groups and to require users of .XXX to label their content.

ICANN, a nonprofit that operates under a memorandum of understanding with the Commerce Department, had initially approved moving forward with the proposal last June, but reversed the decision after the Commerce Department requested further review of the application.

ICM claims that the Commerce Department redacted 120 pages of 1,600 documents that the company requested in the FOIA. The company is trying to prove that the Commerce Department overstepped its authority by lobbying hard against .XXX.

“Our story needs to be told,” Lawley said. “We’ve been done wrong. I think what’s going on here is already clear, but I want the extra evidence.”

Meanwhile, ICM Registry has filed a reconsideration request with ICANN, claiming that the board voted on inaccurate information, were unaware of the “inappropriate involvement of the U.S. government in this process,” and had been misled by ICANN officials relative to contract negotiations with ICM.

That request will be reviewed by four of ICANN’s board members, three of whom voted against .XXX last week.

Lawley said that he's "not sure" how the ICANN review will go.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More